Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Memories and tokens... not for everyone?

I found a car to buy, I believe. An old man in the city recently lost his wife to cancer- he is selling me her Subaru for half of what it's worth. He told me, "I just can't look at it, and I want you to have it."

Nice man, really he is. But it got me to thinking- is it generally common to get rid of your loved one's things so quickly? Is it better to hold onto things, or push them away? My cousin passed away this past fall, and my aunt has left her room just the way the little 11 year old dreamer had it when she passed, clothes and all.

If Nick were to suddenly pass, what would I keep? What would be unbearable to see everyday? If, God forbid, I should lose my child, what would I save? My best friend compared it to the "your house is on fire, what do you save?" theory. However, I think it's different. If my house were on fire I would save my child and my husband.... not one possession is a precious as they are to me.

Memories are such a strange thing. One minute you want nothing more than to hold onto them, and the next they are too painful to recall.

So, my question is, if you lost a loved one, whether it be pet parakeet or Aunt Lucy, what do you keep? Does it matter?

3 comments:

  1. Hello, and thanks for posting on my blog. We lived in Ohio's Amish country of Berlin before moving to North Carolina, so that's what made me think of joining the Amish. smile. Unfortunately, I think we're all too used to modern conveniences!
    Great blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops. Just realized you may not know who I am. I'm Inkyfinger. The other comment I left came from a blog account I no longer use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I'd save: letters, photos, and a few precious touchstones. Even now, I have on my cellphone voicemail a message from a close friend who died last June. I keep extending its life the way I wish I could have extended hers.

    But a car I'd move.

    ReplyDelete