Sunday, January 25, 2009

Insecurities are so juvenile, right?

At what age do you grow out of feeling unpretty? I mean, everyone has their pretty days, where they feel muy caliente and no one can touch then.

But I mean that flaw, that one thing you are so self-conscious about. Mine is my mom belly- muffin top with stretch marks strewn everywhere. No amount of crunches or belly fat loss will get rid of that skin. My son was worth it though.

Belly flub aside, there is that feeling of "I want to be appealing." Do 70 year old women feel it? Does my grandmother scan the grocery store to see if anyone is checking her out? And I honestly don't remember the extent of that feeling in high school- is it less now than it was then?

My point is, why is a mom muffin not beautiful? Why are stretch marks unappealing? Who cares if I may or may not be starting to get wrinkles???? It's because we allow for them to be an unappealing trait. So today I began a late (better late than never) resolution. I will embrace whatever, mom belly and all. I will never feel beautiful until I allow myself to be beautiful. I think that rulle applies to everyone, man, woman and child!

1 comment:

  1. I find other cultures standards of "pretty" interesting. What's beautiful to one culture isn't to another. There's no reason why the post-pregnancy body can't be beautiful, it just requires acceptance amongst society.

    I don't see any reason why we as women should ever "give up" on feeling pretty. I try to accentuate the good, and hide the bad. I mean, I'm a MOM not DEAD! I'm going to have some "excess" skin and other unmentionable yuckiness, but I can still be sexy as long as I TRY to do the things that make me feel that way.
    In all - I'm probably going to have a little tweek here and there. I DESERVE to feel pretty after all the work I've put into my children - and SO DOES EVERY MOM!

    Nice post ;-)

    ReplyDelete